Monday, April 12, 2010

Step by Step

Seeing as it's not out for another couple of months I thought I'd do a step by step of one of the panels from the Dredd strip I did recently with Rob Williams.




The first stage is the tiny thumbnail from my sketchbook. I do the whole page very small and loose I'm probably the only one who can tell what's going on. I scan this into Manga Studio and then use the panel cutter tool to panel up the page. Then I may do a little bit of drawing, in MS, to make things a little clearer. I'll also put a perspective grid on. I still try and keep everything very loose at this stage as I like to print it out blue and do the pencilling on top.

Next is the pencilling, I've removed all the blue from this so the perspective grid isn't too visible any more. I then scan this in place it into the right panel . I'll do this with each panel on the page. Then convert the whole lot to blue and print out ready for inking...


Then to the last stage. I scan in the inks and put them under the panel border layer I created in Manga Studio. Then I colour the whole thing in Photoshop.


12 comments:

Sheldon Goh said...

Thanks for the step-by-step!

Just to make sure I got it right, you pencil and ink traditionally with pencil and pen/brush? The Manga Studio is used to set up the panels and help with perspective grids and panel borders? Is that right?

Matt Hollingsworth said...

LOVE it, as always!

dylan said...

Thanks Matt and Don!

Don, yeah still inked traditionally except for the panel borders. I have inked a few panels in MS on this job though and I used the speedline tool on one panel too, what an amazing tool! For the most part though I still prefer to ink with the real thing I find it quicker and easier.

Patrick said...

man, I'm such a techno-phobe! I just draw it all out, but my pages are generally a lot messier than yours mate!!

lee carter said...

really nice panal...love the coloring, and the inks..

never looked at manga studio....always got put off it by the word manga.

Again, really really solid great work. looking forward to seeing it in print..
your sketch books are are joy too, your should consider doing what Sean Phillips has done with his art books

dylan said...

Ta Patrick, ta Lee.
Might look into the Lulu thing, problem is I'd want to do a colour book as most of the sketches are in colour not sure how cost effective that would be though.

Sheldon Goh said...

Thanks for the extra info Dylan! :)

Jane said...

Randomly found this blog and your drawings/sketches are amazing.

dylan said...

Thanks!

Scoffoni said...

The color is beautiful!

dylan said...

Thanks! Really enjoying your blog, great stuff on there!

Kungfoowiz said...

This is just ace! Thank you for sharing this Dylan.. I actually use the perspective grid in Corel Painter, but I'm sure it's similar in Manga Studio.

Making buildings and landscapes and stuff has always been something I've put off. Reading how you tackle it gives me some hope.. lol..

Cool man, keep well for now.. =)